Disclosure: I received one or more of the products mentioned for free as a thank you for writing this post. Regardless, all opinions expressed are completely my own.
Since I am a former professional chef myself, Lidia Bastianich is definitely a lady I look up to. This famous, Italian chef and restaurateur brings to the table (pun intended) a wide variety of fresh, delicious, and elegant yet down-to-earth dishes. She is absolutely an admirable lady.
As you can probably imagine, I was thrilled when I was asked to review a copy of Lidia Bastianich’s new children’s book Nonna’s Birthday Surprise. First of all, I didn’t realize she wrote children’s books, so I was intrigued. Second of all, it combines three things I love–cooking, reading, and family. So this was definitely not an opportunity I could pass up!
This book tells the story of Lidia and her grandchildren teaming up to plan and prepare a delicious, fresh surprise meal for Lidia’s mother who is affectionately referred to as Nonna. As they brainstorm what culinary creations to make, Lidia tells the children about her life was as a child. She tells about Italy and how everything was made purely from scratch. She speaks of how she and her family worked together to raise their own livestock, grow fresh fruits and vegetables, milk the family cow, and so on. Meals were always made by hand, with love, using fresh, wholesome, unprocessed ingredients.
Towards the end of the book is a delightful surprise. There are 18 simple recipes utilizing fresh ingredients that parents and children can make together. These recipes don’t only use fresh, traditional Italian components–each set of recipes is also separated seasonally to maximize the authenticity of every one.
I personally was fascinated by this book. The story of Lidia’s childhood farm was well-written and well-illustrated. I was transported to another place and time as I read. It was exciting! I could nearly taste the freshly-dried raisins, the smoked sausage, and the fresh-picked vegetables. It is a lifestyle I deeply long for–one of fresh, hard-earned, wholesome foods that are pure and nutritious.
I also love the recipes in the back. Each one is simple, nutritious, and delicious. The Little Mister has already helped me make a few (utilizing the helpful “Kid’s Can” section) and I can’t wait to try the remaining recipes as their season arrives.
You can purchase Lidia Bastianich’s children’s book Nonna’s Birthday Surprise anywhere books are sold, including Amazon.com.
How to Enter
This giveaway is being run using a handy-dandy Rafflecopter form. To use the form, log in using your Facebook account (make sure your primary Facebook email is one I can reach you with if you win) or your name and email. You can read more information about logging into the Rafflecopter form HERE. Your information will be kept completely confidential and safe.
- None of my giveaway entries are mandatory, so you may do as many or as few as you’d like.
- Each entry must be accomplished exactly as it is stated, including providing anything in the “Extra Info” field, for it to count.
- You can perform each entry type ONE TIME ONLY unless otherwise specified.
- If there is a “leave a comment” entry type, be sure the name you type in the comment’s name field is EXACTLY the same as the name you use in the form (this is so I can verify your comment).
- Make sure to leave a VALID email address in the Rafflecopter’s email field so I can contact you if you win (or ensure your Facebook account’s primary email address is one I can contact you by).
- If you already follow/like me or the company via Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc., that’s okay–the entries still count.