There’s a very popular, very easy, very common citrus all-purpose cleaner recipe that’s been floating around the internet for a long time now. It’s definitely one of my favorite recipes, and oh so simple! But, being me, I had to figure out a way to kick up this recipe just a notch or two. Make it more of a super hero cleaner while at the same time keeping it really simple and using ingredients that are easily accessible in most local super markets.
So that’s what I did. I made a super citrus cleaner. Here’s a break down of the ingredients:
- Vinegar. A heroic cleanser and disinfectant.
- Citrus Peels. Also a good cleaner and has grease-fighting powers.
- Thyme. A famous disinfecting herb that defeats germs.
- Citric Acid. Acts as a preservative so the cleaner won’t go bad any time soon, fights against stains and spots, and helps to kill germs.
- Lemon, Lime, or Orange Essential Oil. Smells really good and adds a touch more grease and grime fighting power.
The one and only negative about this cleanser is that it sits for at least two weeks. So it’s not something you can whip up in a pinch. It does take a tad of planning. What I do is, when my cleanser starts getting low (like there’s only 1 cup left that, consequently, lasts me about two weeks), I get another batch ready. My hubby and kids always know it’s APC (my acronym for all-purpose cleaner) making time when they have access to a bunch of already-peeled oranges.
Using this cleaner is fun! It smells citrus-y from the citrus peels and just a tad woodsy from the thyme, so if you hate everything smelling like Easter egg decorating time, you’ll love this cleaner.
It’s also super versatile! You can use it to clean counter tops (might not be safe on granite, though), sinks, tables, bathtubs, showers, toilets–anywhere you would use a commercially purchased all-purpose cleaner.
- 2 c. white vinegar
- citrus peels*
- 1/2 tbsp. dried thyme
- 2 c. water
- 1 tsp. citric acid or LemiShine
- 30 drops (1/4 tsp.) Young Living lemon, lime, or orange essential oil (optional)*
- Put the vinegar, the citrus peels (add just enough that the vinegar covers them), and thyme in a mason jar. Put on the lid and let it sit, shaking it up once in a while, for 2 to 4 weeks (the longer you wait, the stronger it gets).
- Strain the citrus peels and thyme from the vinegar (a tea towel works very well for this). Add the water, citric acid, and essential oil to the vinegar and mix until the citric acid has dissolved. Put into a spray bottle.
- To use, shake the bottle first to ensure everything is blended then simply spray anywhere you would any other all-purpose cleaner and wipe away.
- 1. *When using authentic essential oils like Young Living, be sure to store the cleanser in a glass bottle as plastic will eventually melt away from the strength of the essential oil.
- 2. Orange, lemon, lime, grapefruit, kumquat, and mandarin peels all work great for this recipe. Use just one or a combination.
- 3. To keep track of when your Super Citrus APC is done infusing, put a piece of masking tape on the jar or its lid with the date that you started making it.