Charger plates provide a specified space for everyone attending a meal and add an elegant formality to the table setting. While I do love the look and space-reserving organization of a charger plate during a formal or not-so-formal meal, I also understand that not everyone is in to the intended purpose of charger plates. Fortunately, there is much more to a charger plate than meets the eye! Here are 10 ways to transform a charger plate into something else.
- A family plate. Create a beautiful seasonal or everyday decoration for a shelf or your fireplace by featuring your family name. You could place your family monogram or last name in the center with the names of each family member around the border. If your family has a coat of arms, perhaps place that in the middle. Paint your decoration or have vinyl cutouts made.
- A centerpiece. Place a charger in the center of your dining room table and decorate it for a lovely centerpiece. Put a mason jar in the center with a candle or flowers in it and surround it with seasonal items like smooth stone for everyday, acorns for the fall, and pinecones for the winter.
- Holiday decor. Stencil some a basic turkey silhouette or some simple Christmas tree shapes in several colors to create a unique themed holiday decor piece to display.
- A picture frame or mirror. Use your decoupage skills to attach a round photo to the center of the charger plate or use strong glue to attach a round mirror.
- A chalkboard. Here’s a unique and super easy idea I’ve seen floating around the internet. Simply paint the center with chalkboard paint, hang on the wall, and voila–you have a super cute and handy message board!
- A cake server. Use the charger plate to serve a beautiful decorated cake for any occasion.
- A clock. Drill a hole in the center, attach some clock parts, and you have a super easy and custom clock. No need to paint any numbers on.
- A paint easel. If you have an old or beat up charger plate, turn it int a paint easel for yourself or your kids. The lip on the charger holds the paint on and the charger itself is fairly easy to clean after each use (well, depending on the type of paint used).
- A treat tray. Like giving out treats to family and friends? A charger is nice way to do so. Arrange your treats atop it, cover with cling wrap, and give as gift.
- A serving tray. If you’re hosting a party, serve appetizers and treats on the charger plate. They’re of course larger than a regular plate, providing more room, and they look nice.
What are some other uses you can think of for a charger plate?
Special thanks to Gibson Home for sponsoring this post! Please be sure to visit their website to shop beautiful dinnerware and other home goods and follow their social networks.