I believe that the best way to clean your home is to use homemade cleaners. You know exactly what ingredients go into it and it’s super cheap. But, what if you can’t make your own cleaning supplies or simply don’t want to? Maybe you work two or more jobs (and yes, parenting does count as a job!). Perhaps the necessary ingredients for your homemade cleaning supplies are locally available, are hard to get, or cost more for your area than they do for other areas. Maybe you’re able to make some homemade cleaners, but don’t have the time or ability to make them all.
Whatever the reason that necessitates you purchase your cleaning supplies instead of make them, I hope that this list is helpful! Below, I list just about every cleaner you would need to care for your home. I checked and double checked each one to ensure it is the highest-quality, most natural option available so you and your family will have healthful alternatives.
The source for determining the best of each of these cleaners was EWG.org. Feel free to check out their website–they grade a lot of cleaning chemicals from A for best to F for worst.
When determining when a cleaner is healthful or not, remember that just because it says it’s green, organic, or natural, doesn’t necessarily mean it’s telling the truth or that it’s the best. Investigate all of its ingredients. Call the company to ask for a list of ingredients if a label is not provided on the bottle. Also, remember that just because a certain brand sells a certain product that’s good to use does not mean that all the products in that brand’s line are equally as natural. Inspect each one individually.
- Molly’s Suds. This powdered laundry soap has a gentle, minty scent. It is great for use on both cloth diapers and regular laundry. It also fares well for most homes with hard water. Works in regular and HE washers.
- Planet Ultra Liquid Laundry Detergent. If you prefer liquid laundry detergent, then Planet has the laundry detergent for you. This formula is intended for standard washing machines.
- Planet 2x HE Ultra Liquid Laundry Detergent. This is a basic, liquid laundry detergent for HE washing machines.
- Planet Delicate Laundry Wash. This liquid laundry soap is intended for delicate loads and handwashing.
- OxiClean Baby Stain Soaker. I can’t vouch for other OxiClean products because they have added ingredients that make them less and less healthful. But OxiClean Baby is gentle and great for removing stains..
- White Vingear. 1/2 cup plain white vinegar added to the washing machines makes great fabric softener. Don’t worry, the washer washes it thoroughly away, so you won’t have Easter egg smelling clothes!
- Wool Dryer Balls. These creative inventions help to reduce static and they help to reduce drying time.
- Seventh Generation Chlorine Bleach. Not all of Seventh Generation’s cleaning products are so natural, but this is one of the gems. It does what it’s supposed to with minimal damage to people.
- Seventh Generation Natural Toilet Bowl Cleaner. To get your toilet bowl shiny and clean..
- Seventh Generation Natural Tub and Tile Cleaner. To scrub scum and other yucky stuff away.
- Green Shield Organic Bathroom Cleaner. To clean the vanity, the outside of the potty, door knobs, and so on.
Hard Water Stain Removal
- CLR Calcium, Lime, Rust Cleaner. We have hard water and I regularly use CLR so that it doesn’t turn into a rock-solid chunk over our faucets and drains.
- Drainbo the Natural Solution Natural Drain Cleaner. For when the shower drain gets hairballs and stuff.
- Green Shield Organic All-Purpose Cleaner Degreaser. To clean the stove top.
- Green Shield Organic Kitchen Cleaner. To clean countertops, faucet, and so on.
- Zum Clean Granite and Countertop Cleaner. Must be in the Orange Bergamont variety. For cleaning granite countertops.
- Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Powder. A powdered dishwasher soap.
- Seventh Generation Automatic Dishwasher Detergent Concentrated Pacs. Dishwasher soap in pod form.
- Green Shield Organic Squeez Automatic Dishwasher Liquid Detergent. Liquid dishwasher soap..
- Ecover Rinse Aid. A gentle rinse aid.
- Planet Ultra Dishwashing Liquid. For those dishes that must be hand washed..
- Aussan Natural Oven and BBQ Grill Cleaner. To clean the oven and barbecue grill.
- Planet All Purpose Spray Cleaner. To clean furniture surfaces, fireplace mantles, and so on..
- Martha Stewart Clean Wood Floor Cleaner. For cleaning hard wood floors.
- Aussan Natural Floor Cleaner Concentrate. For cleaning regular tile or other hard floors.
- Attitude Window and Mirror Eco Cleaner. To get mirrors, windows, and other glass shiny and squeaky clean.