When I was a kid, my mom often baked a similar version of this very yummy flat bread. As I began to discover my personal culinary creativity when I got older, I took this delicious recipe and began tweaking it and experimenting with it. Most recently, I began utilizing more healthful ingredients to make it better for our bodies. The result is an amazingly tasty comfort food that makes an excellent accompaniment to any main dish.
Easy Cheesy Focaccia
- 2 tbsp. organic cornmeal
- 2-1/2 c. whole wheat, spelt, or all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. Real Salt
- 1 tsp. coconut sugar or white sugar
- 1 tsbp. quick-rise yeast
- 1 c. warm water
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 c. Italian salad dressing (I prefer homemade)
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3-4 c. cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- toppings and garnishes (ideas: one can diced green chiles, sliced olives, julienned bell peppers, sliced jalapenos, dried parsley flakes, diced onion, bacon pieces)
- Grease a 12-inch pizza pan; sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll and tap the pan around to evenly spread the cornmeal. Tap off any extra. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with the kneading hook attached, combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast. Gradually add water and oil. Knead for 2 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all sides.
- Cover with plastic wrap or a towel and let rise for 20 minutes or until doubled. You know the dough has risen enough when two fingers inserted in the middle fail to spring back.
- Punch dough down.
- On a floured surface, roll out the dough to about the size of the pizza pan. Transfer dough onto the pan, flattening it evenly.
- Poke dough with a fork to evade air bubbles and to absorb the salad dressing.
- Brush the Italian salad dressing over the surface of the dough.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, garlic powder, pepper, and thyme.
- Sprinkle the spices evenly over the dressing. Sprinkle the shredded cheeses evenly. Add toppings and garnishes.
- Bake in a 450° Fahrenheit oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Cut into 16 wedges using a pizza cutter. Serve warm or at room temperature.