ATTENTION MEN: TMI warning. If you wish to NOT be disturbed, here’s your fair warning: stop reading NOW!
I really like my menstrual cups. They’re safer than using tampons for my monthly friend, they’re cheaper, and (once I initially got the hang of it), easy to use.
Just about every menstrual cup manufacturer sells their own version of washing fluid. However, these washes are usually made using very simple, basic ingredients. But the price at which these washing fluids are sold is not so nice, especially for all they are. I personally have never used or purchased any of them and my menstrual cups have been working well and keeping in tip-top shape for a very long time, all by using a few home cleaning ingredients.
So, as is my custom prior to giving a cleaning recipe, here’s a break down of the ingredients I used and why I selected them:
- Filtered Water. Basically, you want to use water that is safe for drinking. No chemicals or additives in it. Considering where the menstrual cup is gonna go, I’m sure you understand why this might be important!
- Lemon Juice. This helps to sterilize while at the same time helping towards keeping some things PH balanced.
- Orange Essential Oil. This adds a little bit of pretty smell and also helps to break up any yuckies.
Pretty simple, huh? These three basic, all-natural ingredients work together to make your menstrual cup all nice and squeaky clean. It’s not the only way you should care for your menstrual cup, but it’s definitely a cheap, inexpensive cleanser to clean the cup each time after emptying it.
To learn all the ins and outs of how to care for your menstrual cup (plus to learn about other eco-friendly monthly friend products), please be sure to check out my Green Monthly Friend Guide.
Homemade Menstrual Cup Wash
- 1/2 c. filtered water
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 5 drops Young Living orange essential oil*
- Put all ingredients in a fine mist spray bottle. Shake. Mist lightly onto menstrual cup then wash off immediately with warm water. Do not allow cup to soak in mixture. Shake before each use.