Everyone has their favorite, special pie crust recipe. Some are based off of one theory or another and some are simply passed down generation to generation.
My pie crust recipe is just an easy, basic, real food pie crust recipe. No fancy theories went into it and it wasn’t handed down to me by anyone. It’s just a recipe I found online somewhere several years ago and tweaked to meet my family’s real food needs.
This pie crust recipe is fairly versatile–you can use spelt, whole grain, or (if you dare) white flour. It can be used for savory dishes like quiche or chicken pot pie, or for all those traditional sweet pie recipes.
I personally prefer either freshly-ground spelt or whole wheat flour. These flours, especially when freshly ground, are wholesome, delicious, and very nutritious.
Yummy Basic Buttery Pie Crust
- 1-1/2 to 2 c. flour (spelt, whole grain, etc.)
- 1/2 tsp. Real Salt
- 1/2 c. cold butter, cubed
- 1/4 c. distilled white vinegar
- 1/4 c. cold water
- In an electric mixer (or in a bowl using a pastry blender), mix together 1-1/2 cup flour and salt then cut the butter in until crumbly. If there are chunks of butter, this is okay.
- Gradually mix in the vinegar and water. Add more flour if necessary until a smooth elastic dough results.
- Use immediately or refrigerate in an airtight container. This recipe also freezes well.
to a picnic for our church tonight! I made Molasses Glazed Green Beans with Bacon (recipe to be shared here on Measuring Flower soon) and we’re also bringing hot dogs, hot dog buns, and watermelon slices. Managed to sign up for three dishes some how even though only meant to do two! Oh well, it all worked out any way because we had a bunch of watermelon that we all couldn’t eat (especially since I’m on the Trim Healthy Mama diet). Gotta leave here in a moment to head to the park. The Little Guy didn’t have but a half hour nap in the car on the drive home, so we’re gonna leave a tad early so he might get a little more sleep in the car. Hopefully it’ll be fun tonight! It’s also a baptism service. Old fashioned baptism in the lake. Perfect day for it–nice and hot! I’m sure the boys will enjoy running around and playing outside and hopefully they’ll crash without any problems when we get home (so mommy and daddy can crash, too)!